Mexico, The Water Towers of Los Remedios
"Mexico, The Water Towers of Los Remedios" is an etching and color aquatint, printed à la poupée, by American printmaker Max Pollak (1886-1970). It was created about 1946 and is pencil signed, titled, and editioned 5/5. It was printed by the artist on a sheet of ivory simile-vellum paper measuring 13-1/2 x 12-1/8 inches.
Los Remedios is located in Naucalpan, northwest of Mexico City. The construction of the aqueduct of Los Remedios was begun in 1620. The 74-foot tall water towers were intended to regulate the pressure allowing the conveyance of water uphill. The project was abandoned until the 18th century when new technology solved the earlier problems and the aqueduct was completed in 1765.
Max Pollak, painter and printmaker, was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1886. He was raised in Vienna and, in 1902, he entered the Vienna Academy of Art where he studied under William Unger and Ferdinand Schmutzer. In 1912, Pollak traveled to Italy, France, and Holland to study and paint. During the First World War, he was appointed painter of the Austrian Army.
He immigrated to the U.S. in 1927, living for a time on the East Coast where he produced a series of color aquatints of New York, Cincinnati, and Detroit. His first exhibition was at the 57th Street Art Gallery in New York and he was commissioned by Theodore Dreiser in 1929 to illustrate his book, "My City." In 1938, Pollak and his wife, Friedl, moved to San Francisco, California. Pollak was inspired by his new city and its environs and produced beautiful views of San Francisco Bay Area. Later travels included trips to Mexico and Guatemala.
Pollak was a member of the Chicago Society of Etchers and the California Society of Etchers. His work is in the Oakland Museum of California Art, the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the New York Public Library, the Smithsonian American Art Museum, the British Museum, the Judah L. Magnes Museum, and the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.